Run Sacramento + Things I Miss About Running

Some odds and ends out of the way first :

1)I'm really going to miss Sam McManis's  Run, Sacramento blog on the Sacramento Bee, he was/is a great writer and very involved in Northern California. His contributions to the running community will be missed (at least via this mode as I hope he'll continue to write elsewhere!)

2) We finally got our daughter's T Shirt! The Veggie Chase director sent it in, so if you haven't please contact him and we'll see you all there next year!




3) Moving on to me and my knee - (Warning: Griping ahead) I still haven't run, heck I still haven't even been able to WALK without limping. I know it will heal eventually but it's tough. So much goes through my head - let me throw some stuff out there, these are things that I think about throughout my day.

I miss getting stuff ready the night before to go on a run. I miss wearing my Garmin, and the feeling of being half awake at the beginning of a pre-dawn run then feeling completely alive on the way home.
I hate not being able to run around and play with my kids. I tell myself "other people are so much worse off!", it doesn't make me feel better. I wonder if maybe I'm not cut out for long distances, I worry that I will not be able to run again, I beat myself up for running too long or too fast, I alternately curse and thank my doctor, I listen to music and wish I were listening to it on a run, I log into dailymile and find I have nothing to say..and then I know that there are others out there and at the end, just like reluctantly running when the body says "just sleep in" I have to get up and face the day. I can't wallow in this stuff, but it's still difficult to avoid. I ice my knee, I take my medication, I find myself staying awake later without a care.In my head I yell at people who don't run "You CAN get out there, you aren't injured, get off your rear!"

More than anything I miss the FREEDOM of running. I miss having that choice, I enjoy seeing things I don't normally see if I am not running. Workers loading pallets onto semi- trucks, EMTs and police on breaks, street people sleeping, wildlife, weather, the elements themselves.  Its' not the same when I am behind the wheel or looking out a window. If you are injured - I feel your pain! If you aren't, get out there and run already!

This song has nothing to do with running, but I've been listening to this CD non stop. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Boy do I know these feelings. I just commented on your previous post again, but I'll repeat it here: You WILL get better. When you can run again (not "if" but "when"), all those sights, sounds and feelings will be so much sweeter. The 90-degree heat won't seem so bad, and the less-than-stellar runs will be much fewer.

    I've had many setbacks because I'm injury-prone, but I've also learned a lot along the way. I stretch more and I pay attention to twinges that seem abnormal. The result: I'm injured far less than previously.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts